FEBRUARY 19, 2021
Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) are dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our three offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Development Director is responsible for designing, managing, and executing all development efforts at Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation. Our fundraising strategy includes grant writing, individual giving, events and campaigns, and sponsorships. We hope to raise $1.4 million to support our work in 2021 and beyond.
This new position will play a critical role in building up our organizations’ operating reserves, strengthening our individual donor base, and managing our grant portfolio. While this position is responsible for making sure everything is on track, you’re not in it alone! We firmly believe that fundraising is a team effort.
If you have a knack for writing grants, a love of storytelling, and a desire to change the world, then this position might be for you!
Development Planning & Oversight (20%)
- Work with the Executive Director and Development Team to create and execute an annual development plan that aligns with the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic goals.
- Support and manage the Development Manager to reach established goals and objectives
- Assist the Boards of Directors in achieving their development goals
- Monitor and adjust development strategies in order to reach fundraising goals. Suggest and implement new strategies as needed.
Donor Research, Cultivation, & Stewardship (25%)
- Develop and implement strategies to build a sustained base of annual and monthly individual donors
Build relationships with donors through all avenues of engagement, including face-to-face meetings (once safe to do so) and direct solicitations
- Oversee the management of our donor database to maintain orderly and accessible records of communications and relevant materials with donors and institutional funders
- Support the Executive Director and Program Director’s engagement with major donors including major donor and stakeholder outreach, new funder prospecting, and presentation and meeting preparation
Grant Management & Writing (25%)
- Continually research and identify new grant opportunities that align with the organization’s direction and goals
Maintain communications with select institutional funders
- Collaborate with the Program Team to ensure that grant proposals align with program goals and needs
- Developing FMT’s overall fundraising narrative. This includes writing, submitting, and managing grant proposals, as well as other supportive materials such as two-pagers and annual reports
- Coordinate all aspects of grant reporting, including working closely with the Executive Director, Operations Manager, and relevant staff to compile the necessary information
- Work with the Development Manager to maintain a grants calendar and ensure that all materials are submitted on time
Major Fundraising Campaigns (30%)
- Oversee the planning and implementation of giving campaigns include appeals, Give Days, house parties, and other events
- Guide a giving campaign to increase the organization’s operating reserves
Gotta-Have Skills Sets: Must be present for this position. We encourage you to apply if you don’t match these qualifications 100%
- At least 3-5 years of direct experience in non-profit or political fundraising, including a demonstrated ability to meet fundraising goals through direct asks, events, grants, and / or other strategies
- Love of building relationships and communicating organizational successes across a variety of platforms
- Extremely organized with an ability to prioritize urgent tasks and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with a fundraising database
- An understanding and desire to implement diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice frameworks in all aspects of work
- Commitment to a process of feedback, learning and personal growth
- Comfort working remotely, including an ability to build relationships through travel and technology with remote team members and your manager
Nice to Haves:
- Management experience or demonstrated experience supporting young leaders
- Love of proofreading and ability to write compelling stories that communicate a vision and program
- Experience with 501c4 organizations or political campaigns
- Experience working collaboratively across departments to achieve common goals
- Bachelor’s degree
Strong Applicants will be:
- Team player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Shared office space with regional field team or remote office space
- Flexible and at times unusual work hours, including evenings and weekends
- Once safe, travel within Montana will be required at least once a quarter
- Compensation: $45,000 – $55,000 Exempt
- Benefits: FMT offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, IRA match, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave
- Location: Based anywhere in Montana; we have physical offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 page writing sample to Kiersten Iwai, Executive Director, at email@example.com with the email subject line “Development Director Application.”
While applications will be accepted until the position is filled, we encourage you to apply by March 19. Qualified applicants will first move through an activity round.