Summer is for 6-Mill
July 31, 2018
As Summer heats up so does our work to make sure that 6-Mill Levy passes. For those of you who haven’t heard of the 6-Mill Levy, here is a quick synopsis:
1. It’s almost as old as my grandpa at 70 years old.
2. On average it costs $24 a year on a $200,000 home (it’s not a new tax!)
3. It keeps college tuition affordable in the state of MT!
Here is the deal: nowadays students are paying more and more out of pocket for their education. And if the 6-Mill Levy doesn’t pass that’s going to get worse, like 18% increase in tuition worse. Now more than ever young Montanan’s need the 6-Mill Levy.
That’s why FMT is hard at work spreading the word about this crucial funding mechanism. We’ve organized 45 letters to the editor, conducted dozens of community presentations, and collected thousands of pledges in support of the 6-Mill Levy. Just a few weeks ago at the MT Folk Fest in Butte we collected over 300 pledges in a day!
So here is how you can help pass the 6-Mill Levy in 6 easy steps:
1. Make sure you are registred to vote at your current address and get an absentee ballot.
2. Talk to 6 friends about this issue.
3. Write a letter to the editor of your local paper about the 6-Mill.
4. Volunteer to collect more pledges to vote yes.
5. Fill in your absentee ballot and vote YES on the 6-Mill.
6. Turn out voters on November 6th.
-Michael Nelson, Billings Field Manager