Forward Montana has many opportunities for Montanans across the state to join the team. Whether it getting out and registering voters, helping behind the scenes, working with Forward Montana, or serving on the board, there is a spot for everyone.
Young people are already revolutionizing Montana; we’re thinkers and students, volunteers and movement builders, connectors and innovators. To build a Montana reflective of our values, a Montana future generations can thrive in, we need your help. Join us in the field or behind the scenes, no position is too small to not make an impact.
We’re mobilizing volunteers across Montana to register and turn out young Montanans to vote and to fight for the issues that matter to us most. Sign up to join us for one (or all!) of our various volunteering opportunities found below!
Community organizing fellowships
FROM PRACTICE TO POWER: LEARN HOW TO BUILD POWER IN YOUR COMMUNITY!
About our program: Our 12-week Community Organizing Fellowship program is designed for young people (and those young at heart!) who want to learn how to build power with and alongside their peers and work together to make lasting change in their communities while building their own unique set of skills.
Community Organizing fellows are paid $15/hr and will learn the skills and knowledge needed to advocate for themselves and their community on behalf of issues they care about.
Fellows will get hands on experience through:
- weekly classes
- immersive DEIJ workshops
- voter registration
- voter mobilization shifts
- statewide networking opportunities
Summer 2022 Applications due by 11:59 pm on Sunday, April 24th, 2022
WANT TO KNOW MORE? SEE OUR FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS BELOW:
Who is this fellowship for?
- No prior experience necessary! We are looking for young people (or those young at heart) who want to make change in their community. Whether you’re in school, working, volunteering, or just looking for a new opportunity, this is for you!
- We’ll be hiring two fellows for the Summer 2022 Fellowship in each of the following communities; Billings, Bozeman, and Missoula
- All ages welcome! If you are in high school, we recommend starting with our High School Fellowship Program
- Must be based in the community you are applying in (Billings, Missoula, or Bozeman)
Is the fellowship a paid position?
YES! Fellows will be paid $15/hr for 10 hours a week over 12 weeks
What is the time commitment?
- The Community Organizing Fellowship runs from May 23rd to August 12th, 2022 with a flexible summer break week. Fellows must be able to participate in all 12 weeks of the program and are expected to commit to 10 hours per week, including some weekend and evening commitments.
- Weekly classes will be held each Wednesday from 6-8pm.
- Fellows are also expected to attend three racial equity classes in July, facilitated by Montana Racial Equity Project. These will be held Monday July 11th, 18th and 25th from 1-3pm.
What does the class schedule look like?
Full class schedule coming soon
What does the fellowship entail?
- Commitment of 10 hours per week
- Attend weekly classes (may not miss more than two classes over the summer)
- Work with a Field Manager to create and manage a personal work plan
- Attend Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation events as needed
- Conduct voter registration shifts in the field with your team
- Conduct Get Out the Vote shifts with your team (phone banking, door knocking, texting)
- Have FUN building community and young people power in your town/city!
What does the application process look like?
- The application is an online form (see the link at the top of this page!) that you’ll need to submit all at once. If you don’t have regular access to the internet, please let us know and we can provide a paper application.
- Your local field manager will review applications and reach out for a short interview/conversation via phone.
- Applications are due at 11:59pm on Sunday, April 24th
Still have questions/want to know more?
Please reach out to your local field manager!
- Emma Bode, Bozeman Field Manager: email@example.com
- Pari Kemmick, Billings Field Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lucia Heutmaker, Missoula Field Manager: email@example.com
Can’t commit to the fellowship but still want to be involved?
That’s OK! There are plenty of opportunities to get involved at Forward Montana. Check out our volunteer opportunities here!
How does the Fellowship compare to the Internship from previous years?
The biggest difference is the pay! Interns received a $1,000 stipend and Fellows will be paid hourly at $15/ hour. The classes will still be weekly with guest speakers but will be more focused on skill-building. Finally, Fellows should expect to take on more responsibility and independent projects based on their interest and organizational need.
Forward Montana is a homegrown, youth-led, long-term grassroots organization working to train, mobilize, and organize a new generation of progressive leaders in Montana.
We are currently looking for our next Senior Organizing Manager! Head to the link below to learn more and apply today!
Board of directors
Are you stoked on Forward Montana’s mission? Is there a fire in your belly for building young Montanans’ political power? Then you should apply to serve on Forward Montana’s Board of Directors. Our Board of Directors is made up of, and elected by, Forward Montana members each year. After you fill out this form, someone on our team will be in touch with you shortly! Want to learn more? Click here!
While we are looking to add board members who have a legal or accounting/finance background (even if you’re just starting out!), we encourage everyone to apply. Your lived experiences, professional experiences, and educational experiences are all of value.