Wanna get 2Legit updates faster than all your friends? Sign up for the Team Montana listserv.
Wanna know more about…
Also, get involved! Here’s how to contact your legislator:
The world premiere of 2Legit with Team Montana.
What happens in the hallowed halls of Helena has an enormous impact on the young people of Montana. Find out the scoop and keep your legislators accountable by tuning in each week for legislative news and political satire made by young people for young people. Each week 2Legit will debut at 5pm on Tuesday.
If you want to get 2Legit fist, sign up to be part of Team Montana.
Job Description: Full-time Development Director
Location: Missoula, Montana
Application Deadline: Position will be open until filled.
Start Date: Mid-February 2015
Do you love raising money for progressive change? Like, really love it? Want to spend your days working to move Montana forward and participating in the occasional dance party? Then check out the job posting below and join the team at Forward Montana!
Forward Montana (FMT) seeks a Development Director to oversee all elements of our fundraising. This position is responsible for FMT’s major donor program, institutional donor work and grant applications, major fundraising events, and the monthly membership ROCKSTAR program.
The Development Director will work directly with the CEO and will be responsible for the following duties/tasks:
Planning, Management, and Tracking
- Work closely with the ED to strategically develop, manage, and implement an annual fundraising plan.
- Engage program staff, administrative staff, and board in fundraising, including training, scheduling, and debriefing; create, track, record, and hold team accountable to fundraising goals.
- Manage donor tracking systems including but not limited to member and supporter lists, online donation, and ROCKSTAR monthly membership processing.
- Develop and distribute, with assistance from staff and CEO, materials, both hard copy and online, to showcase the awesomeness that is FMT. This includes building organization’s profile through traditional and new media strategies.
- Conduct research on donors, potential funders, foundations, and other development opportunities.
- Identify and inform CEO of innovative ways to diversify revenue streams in order to maintain organizational health.
- Develop and grow major and mid-major individual donor program.
- Create and implement donor acknowledgement and thank you’s.
Foundations and grants
- Assist in identification and development of grants, materials, and reports.
- Direct all aspects of a robust member program (ROCKSTARs), including maintenance and communication with current members as well as recruitment of new members through one-on-ones, events, distributing recruitment materials and other innovative tactics.
- Plan and manage FMT events including but not limited to a summer fundraising event, 6-8 Progressive Happy Hours, and the ROCKSTAR Hall of Fame.
- Work with CEO to plan annual board retreat.
- Establish solid, mutually-beneficial relationships on behalf of FMT with community leaders, elected officials, and various other stakeholders.
- Support and participate in FMT’s voter engagement work.
This position requires a diverse skill set and the personality to take initiative and drive others’ focus. The single most important characteristic we seek is a strong desire to raise funds for Forward Montana: you must enjoy asking people for money for an organization that does great things. In addition, we are seeking an individual with the following skills/characteristics:
- Exceptional writer: Proficient, articulate, and occasionally witty writer that is able to wear a variety of different writing “hats.”
- Friendly& well-spoken with the ability to adapt well to any audience.
- Creative and open-minded: interested in thinking up new ways of doing things. Open to creating and considering ideas that initially sound a little bit crazy.
- Strategic thinker & proactive problem-solver: must have an inquisitive mind that is constantly analyzing processes, planning improvements, and seeking solutions.
- Organized & detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic campaign environment: must be comfortable working some nights and weekends, long hours during campaign season, and traveling around Montana
Previous fundraising experience at a nonprofit or with an electoral campaign is strongly preferred. Strong candidates without fundraising will still be considered.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to Forward Montana’s CEO, Kayje Booker, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wondering where the candidates stand on the issues? Check out our awesome voter guide!
Those bastards are at it again – trying to weaken young people’s right to vote. On the ballot this fall, is an initiative called LR-126 that threatens to eliminate Election Day Registration. Election Day Registration is a tool that allows people to register to vote on election day. In the eight years that Montana has had Election Day Registration, over 28,000 Montanans have relied on this measure to enable them to cast a ballot on election day. Over half those were under the age of 30.
It’s no secret that this initiative is a direct attack on young people. That’s why Forward Montana is fighting back. We have rallied our troops and have created Team Montana- A campaign of folks who believe that we should choose politicians who represent us and not the other way around. To provide the financial support necessary to knock thousands of doors, call tens of thousand of voters, and mobilize hundreds of young people, we need your help. Check out our Indiegogo site here and consider giving or volunteering to Team Montana.
Thank you once again to our sponsors of The Williams Effect: Celebrating 10 Years of Forward Montana! We greatly appreciate your support for the next generation of leaders. As Sponsors, you are invited to attend our VIP party at the Missoula Art Museum preceding the main event.
VIP Party at the Missoula Art Museum
5:30 pm- 6:30 pm on August 16th
Hor D’oeuvres, Drinks, and Special Screening of FMT Voter Rights Film
Please RSVP for you and your guests HERE by contacting Tess Carlson at 406-546-6092, email@example.com
August 16th | Caras Park in Missoula | 7:00-10:00 pm
We would like to thank our current sponsors who have donated to The Williams Effect: Celebrating 10 Years of Forward Montana. We greatly appreciate your support of the next generation of leaders and cannot wait to celebrate with you come August 16th!
For those of you who are interested in joining as a sponsor, it’s not too late! To RSVP or sponsor, visit the page below. But hurry fast! The DEADLINE to sponsor is JULY 25TH.
Dunk a Punk Level- $2,000
The Game Master- $500
Compassion & Choices
M and R Strategies
VIP Buzzness- $250
Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana
Montana Women Vote
Rikki and Denver Henderson
Gabe and Lauren Furshong
Caras Park in Missoula, MT | August 16, 2014 | 7:00- 10:00 pm
Forward Montana is excited to announce a second celebration on August 16th, The Williams Effect: Celebrating 10 years of Forward Montana.
That’s right; what began as some bold scheming by a bunch of crazy kids to take back Montana’s democracy has evolved into a statewide, sustainable organization that has mobilized thousands of young people to work for progressive change. Ten years later, we’re still boldly scheming, we’re still organizing, we’re still taking bus trips and wearing costumes, and we are proving that it is possible to get young people excited about politics.
To celebrate 10 years of Forward Montana, we are planning the party of the decade – we are talking dunk tanks, ice cream, corn hole, pitchfork fondue, cotton candy, and even our own FMT anniversary IPA!
The evening is open to the public and donations are encouraged at the door. Sponsorships are available to organizations and individuals. If you are interested in sponsoring The Williams Effect: Celebrating 10 Years of Forward Montana, please see details about our unique sponsorship levels here.
Since its auspicious beginning, Forward Montana has had a profound impact on Montana politics. With your support, we can ensure that the next 10 years are just as exciting and that young people are leading every step of the way. We hope to see you there!
To RSVP, please click HERE.
Forward Montana is now accepting applications for a media arts intern for an integral role on an exciting issue based campaign. Forward Montana (FMT) has joined statewide efforts to defeat ballot referendum LR-126. If passed, LR-126 would eliminate same-day voter registration, a measure that over 28,000 Montanans have used to register and vote on election day.
FMT is seeking an intern with videographer experience to help create a kickstarter film for this campaign- Media management and/or editing experience is a plus. Applicants do not need to have prior political experience or knowledge. FMT is looking for a creative individual, that likes to work in a creative and fast-paced environment with great autonomy. Media management and/or editing experience is a plus!
Internship offers upper-division credit and the possibility of a future fellowship position. To apply, please fill out the attached application and send to Tess Carlson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whether you’ve been with us for a decade or are new to Forward Montana, you know the work we do is critically important to moving our state forward and giving young people a voice in our democracy.
Over the last year, we have played a lead role in the campaign to defend same-day voter registration, helped elect Annelise Hedahl to the Missoula city council, and expanded into Bozeman, where we helped educate young people on where city commission candidates stood on issues like LGBTQ equality and education funding.
Who is behind the curtain…
What you may not know is that the powerful group running our organization behind the scenes, Forward Montana’s Board of Directors, is not a bunch of fancy muckety mucks but is actually a group of members just like you (except for their fancy Board of Directors Sashes, obviously).
Not just talkin’ the talk…
That’s right – at Forward Montana we walk the walk of democracy, and our leadership reflects it. Each year, from among our membership, we elect a small number of exceptional folks who want to step up, take on some leadership, and devote some of their time, energy, and incredible talents to making sure that Forward Montana continues to kick ass and that Montana is moving forward.
If that sounds like you, then now is your chance – the board application process is now open!
It’s easy to do, just follow these steps:
1. Email Boardapplication@forwardmontana.org ASAP to request an application (or if you have any questions).
2. Fill out application and submit it to the same email address (Boardapplication@forwardmontana.org) by 11:59pm on May 31st.
Voting will open on June 1st and run through June 25th. Applicants must be a member of Forward Montana. According to our by-laws, that means that in the last year you have donated at least $10 and/or volunteered for 2 hours. Not a member yet or need to renew?
We can fix that real quick.
If you’ve got any questions, email email@example.com.
2014 is going to be a big year – thankful to have you all on the bus!
Kayje, Tess, Hannah, Debi, Lucy, Kiah, and Nik