Two things Forward Montana does best. Two reasons I joined the board last year – and here’s YOUR chance to join me!
Sometimes it seems as if there are boogeymen (and by boogeymen, I mean real live people) out there trying to ensure you and I don’t have access to power. Forward Montana kicks ass when it comes to protecting our rights to have a voice in the political process. Leading the fight to protect same-day voter registration, FMT reached over 22,000 folks, rallied the troops, and mobilized a statewide effort to defeat a real boogeyman.
There’s so much more to the tale of Forward Montana – but what I really want to tell you is that you can be part of it. Every year, FMT needs a new crop of leaders who are willing to roll up their sleeves.
Now is your time.
If you are a current member of Forward Montana (meaning you’ve volunteered for at least 2 hours or donated $10 in the last year) you can apply. Are you reading this email and not a member? Fix that now!
Here is what you need to know about the FMT 2015 Board Election:
1. May 18th – May 31st: Board application period is open! Interested candidates should contact Boardapplication@forwa
2. May 31st: Board applications due back to Boardapplication@forwardmon
3. June 1st: Electronic ballots sent to all Forward MT members. Voting begins.
4. June 25th @ midnight: Election closes
5. June 26th: FMT Board meets to ratify elections, and new board members announced.
Now is your time – roll up your sleeves. Save ‘Merica.
Current Board Member & Board Election Czar
Do you love democracy? Talking to strangers? Making strangers love democracy? WELL, DO WE HAVE THE JOB FOR YOU!
Job Title: Lead Field Organizer
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Application Deadline: Until filled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Reports To: Bozeman Director
Hours/Week: 40, including 25-30 hours in the field
Salary: Salary depends on experience
Forward Montana is a homegrown, youth-led, long-term grassroots organization to train, mobilize, and elect a new generation of progressive leaders in Montana.
We are seeking a Field Organizer to manage our grassroots campaigns, direct voter engagement, intern program, volunteer recruitment, and general outreach efforts in across the state. This position will work directly with the Bozeman Director to achieve programmatic goals of the field strategy of Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation.
The Field Organizer will work out of our office in Bozeman, Montana. They will work directly with Forward Montana’s staff, board of directors and volunteers. Occasional travel will be necessary to fulfill the expectations of this position. You won’t be tied to a desk, you’ll meet lots of people, and you’ll make change happen at the grassroots level.
This position will split time between our political and civic arms and will be responsible for helping facilitate our work during various election cycles (general, primary, school board, etc) and as well as organizing around the legislative session. The field organizer will execute the day-to-day civic engagement program including but not limited to voter registration, volunteer canvassing and phone calling, and voter turnout efforts.
Forward Montana/Forward Montana Foundation is a grassroots organization that works to train new leaders through hands-on activism. This position requires that you not only get volunteers to show up but also help them grow as community leaders and strengthen their investment in the organization. Volunteers are the core of our work. They are worth a lot, but not for sale.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and participate in GOTV efforts including phone banking, knock doors, and street teaming.
- Coordinate and participate in the collection of Voter Registration forms
- Recruit, train and retain volunteers
- Direct oversight and management of interns and volunteers while in the field
- Oversee, data entry, quality control and turning in of voter registration forms
- Willingness to work non-traditional work hours and weekends
- Experience with and a willingness to work with underrepresented communities
- Passion for progressive politics in Montana
- Exceptional communication skills
- Some experience in community organizing and fieldwork necessary
- Enthusiastically engages in conversation with strangers
- Able to work weekends and evenings
- Comfortable in costume
- Experience with VAN & Google Docs
Strong Applicants should be:
- Team Player
- Self motivated and takes initiative
- Field hours will be completed in all weather conditions
- Shared office with Forward Montana Bozeman director
- Must be able to stand for up to 4 hour periods
- Must be able to work independently
- Bozeman Program Manager will be responsible for ensuring that interns complete their field hour requirements.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time permanent position reporting to the Bozeman director. Salary depends on experience. Benefits include health insurance and dental (we pay 100% of premium).
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to Kiah Abbey at email@example.com. Contact Kiah Abbey directly with questions at 406-672-8004.
Hey Missoula Folk
We’re excited to announce the release of our 2015 School Board Voter Guide for Missoula County Public Schools! Check it out before casting your ballot by May 5th.
Check out the newest episode of 2Legit with Team Montana to get the good news from the 64th legislative session!
2Legit with Team Montana Episode 12
Learn more about anything we talked about by clicking here.
2Legit with Team Montana Episode 11!
Learn more about what we talked about in this episode or watch more episodes
Forward Montana is excited to invite you to attend our get-to-know FMT event in Washington DC on April 14th with special guest Jon Tester!
2Legit Episode 8
Wanna get the durty on what we talked about this week? Check it out hurr.