Missoula Field Organizer
May 8, 2018
Because you believe in a Montana that believes in you.
Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) is dedicated to educating, engaging, and organizing young Montanans to shape their democracy to improve their lives and the lives of their fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our two offices in Missoula and Bozeman, and our satellite branch in Billings.
The Missoula Field Organizer will lead our field efforts in registering young Missoulians to vote and promoting our issue campaigns. This requires the organizer be able to both communicate organizational goals and advocate our campaigns to young people in an intelligent, accessible, and fun way.
Applicants should have initiative, be self-reliant, and have a passion for making real, tangible change in their communities. The Field Organizer will split time between our political and civic projects and will be responsible for executing the Missoula field program under the supervision of the Missoula Field Manager, as well as within the statewide strategy of Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation.
- Field Efforts: Responsible for meeting voter registration, voter mobilization, and issue advocacy metrics in the field. Should not be afraid to hold a clipboard, talk to strangers, and occasionally wear a costume. This also includes providing proper training and support to interns and volunteers while in the field.
- Administrative Support: Assist the Field Manager in all administrative and outreach efforts as necessary, which may include, but is not limited to, data entry, volunteer turnout, preparation and execution of events, recruitment, donor outreach, and assistance with our internship program.
- Volunteer Outreach and Development: Responsible for building and deepening relationships with Missoula volunteers. Requires not only recruiting volunteers but helping them grow as community leaders and strengthening their investment in FMT.
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for grassroots organizing and building youth power, especially through field work
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and on a deadline
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, with an emphasis on relatable, accessible language for young volunteers and interns
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy in the field and to adapt to the needs of volunteers and interns in order to foster success
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Some experience, either professional or voluntary, with grassroots campaigns
- Comfortable with frequent change and urgency
- Familiar with UM’s Campus and relationships with student groups and organizations on the UM campus
Strong Applicants will be:
- A Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Shared office with the Forward Montana Missoula staff
- Comfortable conducting fieldwork, including voter registration, canvassing, and street teaming, for up to 6 hours at a time, often in a stationary position
- Some travel required
- Compensation: $13.00 per hour for up to 20 hours/week
- Contract Length: August 25 to November 10
- Location: Missoula, MT
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Erin Miller, Missoula Field Manager, at email@example.com.