Flathead Voter Registration Organizer
March 2, 2020
We’re hiring a Flathead Voter Registration Organizer (VRO) who will lead our voter registration efforts in and around the Flathead Valley, including but not limited to: Kalispell, Columbia Falls, Polson, and Whitefish. We’re looking for a creative field enthusiast ready to conduct voter registration on campuses and in the community alike.
The Flathead VRO will build relationships with students, administrators, and community members to support civic engagement throughout the region. They will work closely with our Rural Outreach Coordinator and regional field teams to scale our civic and political programming to the communities in the Flathead.
In addition to coordinating and managing field efforts, Organizers will be responsible for recruiting volunteers, hitting metrics, and processing voter registration (eg. data entry & quality control). Applicants should have initiative, be self-reliant, love to travel, and have a passion for making real, tangible change in their communities.
- Program Implementation: Responsible for meeting program goals for voter registration and issue advocacy set in coordination with the Missoula Field Manager through canvassing, street teaming, tabling, and class raps; Should be metric driven and comfortable conducting field hours for 6 to 8 hours at a time. Identify creative locations to gather voter registration that reaches our target constituency, Montanans ages 18-34. Provide proper training and support to volunteers conducting voter registration. This includes, but is not limited to, keeping organized field schedules of volunteers.
- Relationship Building: Must be invested in building the power and capacity of both young Montanans and FMT; Responsible for starting and/or deepening relationships with campus and high school administrators, educators, student leaders, as well as a variety of community leaders and members; Responsible for representing FMT’s brand to long time supporters and folks new to the organization; should be comfortable talking to a variety of stakeholders and hosting small supporter gatherings.
- Admin & Management: Responsible for organizing, conducting quality control, and turning in all voter registration forms to the appropriate county offices; Must be organized and trustworthy.
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for grassroots organizing and building youth power, especially field work
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by the deadline
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including peers, community partners, volunteers, donors, and elected officials; Must be able to effectively communicate with a remote supervisor
- Demonstrated perseverance & creativity to hit metric goals
- Ability to stay productive and focused while traveling
- Ability to take initiative in building up programs
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Experience, either professional or voluntary, with field work
- Experience in planning successful events and meetings
- Demonstrated ability for proactive thinking and a comfort with frequent change and urgency
- Familiarity with your community’s campus & relationships with student groups and organizations as well as community organizations
- Comfortable public speaking
Strong Applicants will be:
- A Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Shared office with regional field team
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Comfortable conducting field work, including voter registration, canvassing, and street teaming, for up to 6 hours at a time, often in a stationary position, in all weather conditions pending safety
- Will have to work some nights and weekends
- Some travel may be required
- Compensation: $12-15 per hour for up to 20 hours per week
- Contract length: April 6th – November 10th
- Location: Travel is required for this position.
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply: please submit a cover letter that addresses why building youth power through voter registration is important in the Flathead Valley & a resume to Erin Miller, Missoula Field Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org