Forward Montana (FMT) is seeking a full-time Communications Manager to develop and execute a robust communication strategy that supports programmatic and development efforts at Forward Montana and Forward Montana Foundation.
The ideal candidate is someone who can balance big-picture strategic vision with individual marketing and communication channels. You’ll excel in this role if you have a knack for data-driven decision making, collaboration, project management, and all-star writing skills.
Who We Are
Forward Montana (FMT) and Forward Montana Foundation (FMF) are dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of Bozeman, Bozeman, Billings, and the greater Flathead area.
What You’ll Do
The Communications Manager reports to the Development Director and leads the communications team and strategy to success. This includes managing a full-time staff member and up to two fellows, and reporting on communications team challenges and success. The Communications Manager is responsible for the following:
- Work with the Program Director, Development Director, and Executive Director to create and execute an annual communication plan and budget that aligns with the organization’s mission, vision, and goals
- Directly manage a full time Content Specialist to identify, write, and create relevant, exciting content across organizational channels
- Oversee management of organization’s website(s), and email communications
- Manage all press relationships in order to increase reach of organization’s work and cultivate positive local, state, and national earned media.
- Lead internal communication processes such as external communications requests and asset management
- Track metrics such as impressions, clicks, etc. in order to evaluate effectiveness of tactics and inform data-driven decision-making
Here’s what success looks like:
- Experience with communication strategy:
- You set a high bar and meet it, because you think three (or 30) steps ahead to anticipate hurdles and can come up with pragmatic solutions on the fly
- You are comfortable with developing and implementing plans from start to finish
- You can evaluate multiple internal and external communications requests while thinking about Forward Montana’s strategic communication plans
- You understand that sometimes a rapid response need will shake up your plan, and you can deftly adjust and make strategic decisions based on priority
- Familiarity with a broad range of digital platforms and tools including WordPress, social media enterprise channels, and email communications platforms:
- You’re online and passionate about the ways that Forward Montana can reach young Montanans through social media
- You know the importance of segmentation and strategy when sending emails
- You understand that partnerships are everything and are constantly seeking out new opportunities for Forward Montana to engage with new audiences and communities.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, write, and edit compelling content.
- You love to write and are confident in your skills
- You can easily navigate between writing bite-sized copy for social posts and long-form content like press releases
- You have a feedback mindset and are willing to ask for support and feedback on written content
- Actively Anti-Racist:
- You are committed to actively contributing to a more equitable and inclusive FMT by facilitating conversations around diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice with the program team and our broader organization.
- You’re committed to amplifying young voices to advocate for a more progressive, just Montana.
- You recognize how your own identities show up in the work and welcome, reflect on, and act on feedback while continuously learning about race, ability, and other lines of difference.
We understand that the right candidate may have experience in different areas. If you don’t meet all the requirements above but have an interest in learning, we encourage you to apply.
if you were the communications manager right now, you would be:
- Mapping out a strategy and calendar for large campaigns like GOTV (Get Out the Vote) ahead of the primary election
- Pitching stories to local journalists
- Trading screenshots with Content Specialist of social media trends Forward Montana could capitalize on and quickly deploying that content
- Writing compelling copy for a monthly newsletter
- Monitoring metrics and making data-driven recommendations
- Attending strategic meetings with program leaders
what else you should know
Forward Montana is an equal opportunity employer and we value having staff who come from communities that are most impacted by our issues and work. We especially encourage people of color, LGBTQ2S+ people, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
- This position is full-time (40 hours/week) and is based in Montana. Applicants must be permanent residents of Montana. Preferred locations are Missoula, Bozeman, or Billings.
- You must be comfortable working unconventional hours occasionally — including nights and weekends
- You must have the ability to travel 1-3x/quarter (a valid driver’s license is required)
- This position includes both in-person and virtual components based on public health guidance around COVID-19
The salary for this position ranges from $47,000 – $50,000. Forward Montana also offers the following benefits:
- 100% Employer paid Health Insurance, Life Insurance, and Employee Assistance Program
- Opt-in Employee paid Dental and Vision Insurance
- Retirement plan with a 3% match
- Technology reimbursement
- Professional development funds
- Generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave
How to apply
Please send a resume and one-page cover letter stating your interest in the position, why you think you’d be the right fit for Communications Manager at Forward Montana, and what skillsets you’d be excited to grow & develop in this position. You are welcome to submit examples of previous work though it is not required.
Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, preference will be given to applications who submit materials by September 28th. Preferred start date for this position is October 25th.