6-Mill Campus Ambassadors
July 11, 2018
Because you believe in a Montana that believes in you.
Forward Montana is dedicated to engaging and mobilizing young Montanans to help shape their democracy and to improve their lives and the lives of fellow Montanans. We put young people on the front lines of civic engagement statewide, basing our efforts out of our offices in Missoula, Bozeman, and Billings.
FMT is seeking 6-Mill Levy Campus Ambassadors on each of the following campuses:
University of Montana
Montana State University
Flathead Valley Community College
Great Falls College
Campus Ambassadors will raise awareness, build leaders, and organize their campuses in support of the 6-Mill Levy. The 6-Mill Levy is a critical funding mechanism for Montana’s public colleges and universities. Approved every 10 years by voters since 1948, the 6-Mill Levy will be on the ballot again in the fall of 2018.
Campus Ambassadors will work on their respective campuses to develop their peers as leaders on the 6-Mill Levy by collecting pledges, hosting trainings, and coordinating letters to the editor (LTEs) and opinion editorials (OpEds). In addition to their work on campus, Campus Ambassadors will be responsible for coordinating and leading presentations to community organizations about the importance of the 6-Mill Levy. The best applicant will be able to work independently, understand the importance of metrics, and be an effective communicator. All training and materials will be provided by Forward Montana.
- Program Implementation: Responsible for meeting metric goals in the field including identifying 6-Mill Levy supporters; Must be comfortable coordinating and leading presentations to campus and community organizations about the importance of affordable and attainable higher education; Responsible for working with fellow students to craft LTEs and OpEds.
- Leadership Development: Must be invested in building the power and capacity of young Montanans as civic leaders, advocates, and voters; Responsible for hosting a storytelling and advocacy training on their campus.
Gotta-Have Skill Sets: Must be present for a candidate to move forward in the hiring process.
- Passion for grassroots organizing and building youth power, including field work
- Ability to independently manage and complete multiple tasks and projects accurately and by deadline
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders, including peers, community partners, volunteers, donors, and elected officials
- Comfortable public speaking
Nice-to-Have Skill Sets: Not required, but having these skills would make a candidate’s transition into the job more seamless for the individual and the organization.
- Experience in planning successful events
- Demonstrated ability for proactive thinking
- Comfort with frequent change and urgency
Strong Applications will be:
- Team Player
- Self Motivated
- Funny (broadly defined)
- Cool (broadly defined)
- Flexible work hours
- Comfortable conducting field work often in a stationary position
- May have to work some nights and weekends
- Compensation: $11.25/hour
- Location: This is a part-time temporary position located on each of the following campuses: University of Montana, Montana State University, MSU-B, Flathead Valley Community College, MT Tech, Great Falls College, MSU Northern, and UM Western.
- Start Date: August 20, 2018
- End Date: November 10, 2018
- Position Status: Part-time (10 hours/week), Temporary
- Application Deadline: Open until filled
Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Kiah Abbey, Deputy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Campus Ambassador – [your campus name]” in the subject line.